Friday 29 July 2011

Bitcoin in Berlin - Ich Bin Ein Bitcoiner!

Some time last month I wrote about the first brick and morter restaurant that accepts bitcoin, Meze Grill in Manhattan, New York. However, no sooner had I heard about Meze Grill than I started to hear about other places (in the US) that also took bitcoin.

Of course, there are bitcoin users and enthusiasts all across the globe so it stands to reason that there also various brick and morter merchants who also accept bitcoin and perhaps have been doing so a while now. So it wasn't with complete surprise that, while browsing the bitcoin forum, I came across mention of Room 77, a bar and TexMex restaurant in Berlin.


In JFK's famous 1963 speech, he declared "Ich bin ein Berliner." I've heard it said that, while his intention was to proclaim solidarity with the people of Berlin, the literal interpretation of what he said is "I am a jelly-donut" rather than "I am a Berliner." The first time I heard this story, the person telling it said the misinterpretation was "I am an ice cream," which would certainly go some way to explain why JFK was considered a very cool dude indeed.

But I digress. I don't know if Room 77 serves jelly-donuts or icecream but, apparently, it serves the best burgers in town, as well as mean burritos and quesadillas. Of course, the reason I'm talking about Room 77 is that it accepts bitcoin, and has been doing so at least since the latter part of May!

While I don't exactly have readers swarming to this site in droves, 10% of visitors so far come from Germany, so maybe they can clue me in as to how great these burgers are and if there are any other brick and mortar places that accept bitcoin. As at the time of writing, bitcoin is currently trading at about BTC1 to €9.5, enough for a decent burger and a bier, I'm sure. So if you're ever in Berlin, check it out!

2 comments:

  1. "In JFK's famous 1963 speech, he declared "Ich bin ein Berliner." I've heard it said that, while his intention was to proclaim solidarity with the people of Berlin, the literal interpretation of what he said is "I am a jelly-donut" rather than "I am a Berliner."

    This is not really true. In Berlin these jelly-donuts are NOT called "Berliner", they are called "Pfannkuchen". So the only meaning of "Berliner" in Berlin is really a inhabitant of Berlin.
    But the whole thing is a little bit more complicated: These jelly-donuts are indeed called "Berliner" for example in the city of Mannheim (and in this area). In my home town Nürnberg they are called "Krapfen" and in Frankfurt (Main) "Kreppel".
    On the other side "Pfannkuchen" means jelly-donuts in Berlin whereas in Nürnberg "Pfannkuchen" are pancakes.

    -Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy kacke! You said it - a little more complicated... and then some. If I'm ever ordering food in Germany, I think I'll just point at what I want. lol

    Thanks for clearing that up, Thomas.

    :)

    ReplyDelete